A date night I hope not to repeat any time soon…

It has been a hectic weekend yet again here!

So Paul and I had another date night Friday night, which was really nice. Nathan stayed with Paul’s parents and I’m not even kidding when I say the child enjoyed every single minute of his time with his them. See, the last time they watched Nathan was about three months ago, and Nathan started to get sick that day. Do you know what it’s like to have a sick toddler? For all the parents out there, I’m sure you are all too familiar with it. For those of you who don’t have kids, let me tell you that a sick toddler is the worst. Especially when they can’t talk yet and tell you where they hurt. So both Nathan and Nathan’s Grandma were crying… it was such a bad experience for both of them. Because of that, I was EXTRA happy that this last visit went without a hitch; Nathan played and played and played some more outside, dug around in the flower beds, rode in a wagon, played in water dripping off the roof, took a bath, and even gnawed on a potato that he insisted was a ball. Needless to say, the kid was doted on, and let me tell you, he was totally LOVING IT.

Meanwhile, Paul and I went out to eat a nice Italian restaurant. We gobbled up our food and enjoyed a few drinks. However, a couple days prior to our date, my allergies started acting up in a way that they hadn’t done in years, since I was a kid. My nose was completely stuffed up, so much so that my sinuses, eyes, and head would throb anytime I sat down. So I sounded quite nasal as I ordered my food and felt as if my eyeballs would explode out of their sockets as I ate the food that I could barely taste.

Then Paul and I decided to play some pool, one of our favorite things to do when we get a kid-free night. An hour or so after we started playing, though, I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom. To my complete and utter horror, as I was using the bathroom, I USED THE BATHROOM. As in, my stomach was upset and was letting me know in no uncertain terms.

To spare you guys the gory details, let’s just say I was thanking my lucky stars that the music in the ladies’ room was blaring on a level loud enough to pop eardrums. THANK YOU, God, for small favors, huh?

I ended up being stuck in the bathroom 5 or 6 times that night.

It was awful.

Couple that with throbbing sinuses and a severely stuffy nose and you have something akin to pure misery.

Fortunately, things got better after I took some over-the-counter medication the next day. But on the hour-and-fifteen minute drive to Paul’s parents’ house to pick up Nathan, I developed a CRAMP IN MY BUTT CHEEK from trying to hold it as long as I could!  I finally made it to a gas station and let me tell you, you should have seen the look on the lady’s face at the register. I ran into the bathroom and came out a few minutes later to purchase the medicine. After I paid, she was staring at me so hard that I actually got a little flustered, and in an attempt to divert her unflinching gaze away from me, I nodded to the receipt machine and asked if I needed to sign the receipt.

“No,” she replied flatly as she handed me the receipt. I could feel her eyes boring into my back as I made a speedy exit. I guess some people are completely unaware of how they come across to others… either that, or they are just plain strange. I’m going with both.. this woman seemed totally NUTZO.

Anyway, things have settled down here. Nathan is back into his little routine and Paul has returned to work. As much as I enjoy dates with my husband, I’m hoping we don’t have another date-night like that for a long, long time.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *